I have put together some weight loss tips for you all to look at and share.
This is not a step by step guide and I don’t know what stage of your own weight loss journey you are at, so please pick up an idea that works for you.
There are so many ideas that it would have taken me a lot longer to do this, so I have tried to put my personal best tips.
General Weight Loss Tips.
1. Remember to keep your goals clear and insight to motivate yourself.
2. Simple, eat less and move more.
3. Join Live UP Online and that first step is made much easier by professional diet and training advice.
4. You want to be successful, then just make the change. Take control of your negative behaviours and turn an unhealthy life into a healthy one. Yes you also need to be excited about it, then turn your goals into reality.
5. Take the weight you want to be and the activity level that you maintain and calculate the number of calories that you should eat to maintain that weight. Now you have to eat fewer calories than this number, on average, over time, to lose weight and achieve your target. Keep a food diary with full daily calorie calculations. Write down everything.
6. Avoid processed food, or if they contain ingredients you can’t pronounce. Keep it as natural as possible.
7. I like to take measurements every two weeks, but a simple recording of weight should be done once a week and preferably, as soon as you wake up.
8. Sitting there and wishing, won’t change your life, you have to do something. You can talk about planning to start an exercise program and to eat healthier foods all you want, but nothing will change unless you start doing it.
9. Change your schedule, if you can, well if you exercise at lunch and eat badly while watching T.V at night, try exercising at night. Go to work earlier, come home later and schedule planning your steps when you are prone to snacking.
10. Small goals. You won’t be sub 10% BF overnight. So remember the plan, your weight loss goals for the short term and not just long.
11. Share what you are doing with people. This will keep you motivated to continue, don’t ask for support, just say “I’m planning on losing 12% BF in these next 12 weeks and I’m going to work my butt off.”
12. Self-deception: Scampi, Fish fingers, breaded chicken do not constitute as healthy protein sources. Compared to seafood, or grilled chicken breast.
13. Giving up? Never do. Even after failing a few times, start over again.
14. Reward yourself. Right, getting new clothes is a great reward. Or, going out with friends (but not for anything food related) is a great reward.
15. Weigh yourself, but also take your measurements. Sometimes your weight won’t budge, but your BF% or waist will.
16. Get enough sleep- First and most important step. Without sleep, it is harder to plan your meals, train hard, recover, or consciously eat healthy.
17. Find motivation other than within yourself. Exercise for somebody else you care about (your kids, loved ones, friends, etc.) if you don’t feel like training, remember you’re doing it for them.
Healthy Eating Tips.
1. Water, drink, drink, drink more. It kick starts your metabolism. No more fizzy drinks.
2. Get rid of that processed food. Then maybe after two weeks, depending on your result, you can have 1 meal of what you like.
3. Eat lots of vegetables and fruits.
4. Portion control, one which I say without measurement, it is enough to fit inside your closed fist.
5. Cut out sugar.
6. No fast food.
7. Make sure you snack between meals, starving yourself for 6-8 hrs between lunch and dinner, will make sure you overeat at dinner.
8. Learn to cook from scratch, that way you can control what you’re eating.
9. Don’t fall for the idea of “diet” foods, as it’s best to eat the original food that has been less processed.
10. Eat lot’s of fiber, it is surprisingly filling compared to that muffin.
11. Cut out alcohol or reduce intake to 1 to 2 glasses per week.
12. If you are hungry between meals, try to eat a source of protein. It is more effective to eat yogurt or nuts, than bread and other snack foods.
13. If you’re on a diet, it’s every day. Do not just diet on the weekdays and binge on weekends.
14. Positive change is easier than negative change. Instead of thinking foods are bad and having to ‘cut out,’ think about the new recipes and foods you get to try if you start experimenting with more vegetables, fruits, spices etc.
15. Create a routine for what you eat (A food diary is recommended.)
16. Eat a varied diet.
17. Reduce intake of salt and sugar.
1. Try backpacking. Carry a heavy pack and walk around a lot, and shed the pounds.
2. Exercise a minimum of 3 x per week.
3. Exercise at any time.
4. Regular anaerobic or aerobic exercise helps.
5. If you can’t run, then start slow by walking 10-15 mins.
6. Buy a pedometer and try to get 10,000 steps per day in. That’s about 5 miles +/- depending on your stride length.
7. Walk everywhere (carrying a baby while you walk also helps a lot).
8. Swim, cycle, or play a sport.
9. Find fun exercise. Join a softball team, commute to work on a bike, whatever. Your strategy should be time-sensitive – only make choices you can see yourself committing to for years, be it the gym, dieting, whatever – temporary won’t work.
10. Replace your least favourite TV show with mild exercise for 30 or so minutes.
11. Get an active dog! They will force you to get outside every day, and they make the best exercise companions.
12. Make friends (if you haven’t already) with very physically active people. If you have very active friends, you will be exercising without even noticing it because you will be having fun with friends.
13. Take the stairs. Walk or bike ride that short distance instead of driving.
14. Start walking outside to get fresh air, which translates into a better mood, if rains, use treadmill.